Intelwatch is a recently launched non-profit organisation based in South Africa, and working internationally. We aim to promote democratic oversight of state and private intelligence agencies, monitor and report on surveillance activities, raise awareness of the risks of undemocratic intelligence and surveillance activities, and advocate for progressive laws and policies that safeguard fundamental rights.
Intelwatch seeks to appoint an Executive Director to undertake this work. This is a full-time, remote position.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing and implementing all aspects of the organisation’s work, with a small team of staff and service providers.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Working with the organisation’s board, staff, and stakeholders to ensure strategic decision making, and to execute the organisation’s strategy;
- Overseeing day-to-day programmatic work, and managing and supporting the organisation’s staff and service providers;
- Overseeing budget planning and ensuring management of the organisation’s finances;
- Managing and driving the organisation’s fundraising efforts and overall donor relations;
- Maintaining and growing the organisation’s network of partner organisations, supporters, and other stakeholders;
- Taking a leading role in the design and execution of the organisation’s advocacy, policy work, and popular education.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- At least five years’ experience in senior positions in the non-profit field;
- A relevant degree (preferably post-graduate);
- A commitment to the principles underpinning Intelwatch’s work, including freedom of expression, democratic participation, and accountable governance;
- A strong track record in research and/or advocacy on public policy issues;
- Experience in fundraising and donor engagements;
- Strong organisational management skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience in developing and implementing strategy.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to [email protected] by Friday 13 October 2023.
If you have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as having been unsuccessful.
Please note: While this is a remote position, applicants must have permission to work in South Africa.